13 May 2013

The Weather And The Brain

Icicles in intricate floral patterns were crawling up the panes. The wind was forcing it's way in through every tiny gap. I tried boarding up the large, English Channel-facing windows in the studio room but the nails weren't long enough to hold. A futile effort that I knew could not delay the inevitable. Electricity's gone but the gas heating was still holding. I wondered if it was too late to get out? Go South; Mexico; familiar and I speak some Spanish or Thailand; feel comfortable there and understand the culture (as much as a non-Thai person possibly can. I though of the enormous changes that will occur when the world  no longer revolves around Western culture. I felt neither fear nor excitement, only apprehension. Inevitability is like a rip tide; the only way to survive it is by not fighting it. I begun collecting my meager collection of jewellery, wouldn't last long. Thought about the skills I could offer; teaching, designing/making stuff. All good, I'd survive, always have. Transport. The realization of the reality grabbed my throat and hot tears begun to flow. I woke up.

Was it  premonition? The first time I remember this happen I was about nine years old sleeping next to my grandmother, dreaming of her wasting away and dying. She was diagnosed with cancer shortly thereafter and died in hospital. Even though intellectually I knew what was happening, I did not 'feel' it. They say children don't really understand death before the age of 10. Or it was my Aspergers? Who knows. These fearful dreams kept coming throughout my life. In another instance I dreamed that my right foot was cut off by a train. It wasn't a train and my foot stayed on, just about. Some time later three bones in my right foot was broken in a motorbike accident in Thailand.

I am an Atheist who believes in reason, science and empirical evidence. However, my experiences are very real. We humans have been around for about ten thousand years and spent about 98% of that time in near complete ignorance about the human body. The brain is still largely a mystery, though there seems to be hope. Obama's Brain Initiative might accelerate learning. To believe that current science already has the answers to everything, would be an arrogant folly that should be well left behind in the Middle Ages. No, I won't start reading my horoscopes, just saying that people are more 'connected' than aware.

I don't want to seem like those nuts in America who holled themselves up during the cold war. Although a nuclear war is definitely still not out of the question; Pakistan, India and China all have the power as well the instability to wipe us all out, one must have hope and faith in reason enough to not get all worked up about the possibility.   Doomsday loonies predicting the end of the world that just doesn't want to happen... remember the millenium bug scare? Laughed at the fools! I'm certainly not one of them. Remember this is about a dream I had.

In any case the dream made me think about possibilities like the drastic population shift due to Climate Change or the Population Explosion in Asia. The big question is which will come first. But the most important question is how to start preparing for it? Buying Gold might not be a bad idea as currencies are already unreliable. If I had kids I'd start teaching them life and leadership skills...and probably start making plans to move closer to the Equator. :) As I don't, I'm just going to make a nice breakfast and then call the dentist because my bloody filling fell out.



No comments: