12 Jun 2013

An Asperger's Unemployed Is a Talent Wasted

According to the estimates of The National Autistic Society (UK) 85% of Adults on the Autism Spectrum are unemployed.There is no information or statistics on How many of them is high functioning (has Asperger's syndrome.)  I am appalled by this but also glad that the 'revolution' has begun. There are discussions about mental health in parliament and local authorities have begun taking steps towards tackling this issue. Some counties have pretty decent services with well designed websites. Here in East Sussex there is only a draft for an Autism Plan as of June 2013 nearly four years after the Autism Act was passed which required an active action plan to be put in place by Aug. 2010. As the act isn't being enforced Even the National Autistic Society seems to think that South East of England ends in London. Since this bothered me so much I wrote to Mr Barker the local MP for Rother who actually seem to have stirred up a few things. He sent his replies in House of Commons envelopes containing answers from both the East Sussex County council's Autism Team (apparently there is one but it's so far uncertain as to what they're doing.) In addition I was also contacted by the Chief Executive of the Sussex NHS Trust (she's got an MBE) who was very kind and helpful  She put me in touch with her Director of Nursing and Quality who sound delightful on the phone and very helpful too. She spoke to the Director of Learning Disability Support with whom I was encouraged to make an appointment. And I did and will speak with her by phone tomorrow. 
They both wish to better understand what it is like to live with Asperger's. Also, would like to put me in touch with Autism services in this area. I am not sure that will help though because according to my research there is no support for high functioning 'Aspiladies' like me. Furthermore I don't need help with my 'functioning' in society. I need society to understand and become more tolerant to Neurodiversity.
I'm going to propose a programme to educate employers on the benefits as well as concerns regarding employees with Aspergers. Just to keep my mind occupied until I get the diagnosis. And because perhaps I can help others like me. I may not have the best social skills, far from it, but instead I have the capacity to 'make things happen' and the love in my heart to want to.
An exerpt from my proposal: "Neurodiversity education is in its infancy. We must work on ensuring that it will get as much exposure and attention as race discrimination and sexual harassment. Perhaps looking at how those issues were dealt with could help provide some tools for us too.

No comments: