26 Jun 2012

Rock of Ages. "Exactly what is says on the box". But a whole lot funnier than I expected. Truthfully, I dislike musicals because the theme is invariable banal; boy meets girl, they screw and and pert then they meet and screw. But what made this movie more than bearable was the gentle satire, the likeable characters including Heyman the monkey alter ego of the 'Rock God'. Brand and Baldwin were hilarious but Tom Cruise has a class of his own. Somebody! Give the man an Oscar already! (Tom honey I'd "pour sugar on" you any day!) His magic blend of Axel Rose, Steve Tyler and Van Halen on Def Leppard hit the spot like single malt on the rocks after a hard day. Well, I must say that my age is in part responsible for the reason why I liked the movie.  Having been a teenager in the 80's was a great stroke of luck and I for one am and forever will be a "Rock chick". The soundtrack isn't bad especially since so many of the songs weren't performed by people known for their singing, and funnily enough they were the best. There were no dull moments and plenty of laughs in between the sing along bits. I will definitely go to see it at the theatre in London. This was the first film for a long the that ended too soon. wanted to Rock on! :)

No comments: