24 Jun 2012

Kindergarten Swimming Scallops


Last Saturday night I had Bexhill's premier Italian dining experience. I'd  give it 3 out of  5 ' breadsticks'.
The restaurant is very popular with the locals for what I fathomed the warm welcome and excellent service.The small floor space is crammed with tiny tables. The decor is trying to be modern but it's just really boring. The atmosphere was lively due to several birthdays in progress. We had to wait for our table and as there is no space for that we spent a few minutes pirouetting with the waiters by the bar. When the food arrived I got the impression that there is a young female chef in the kitchen with insufficient experience, an average palette and poor taste. I had the thinly sliced pan fried scallops (never seen this before), served with over boiled rice.The texture of the scallops was rather jelly soft, drenched in olive oil and over fried, browned garlic pieces which were the only flavors I could taste. My friend had a generous Salmon fillet with a side order of overcooked baby carrots, red cabbage and new potatoes. The entire meal was presented as a kindergarten art project a large rice 'castle' at the center, with the scallop slices swimming in oil around it in a circle on mine and cherry-tomato halves and sliced black olive  'necklace' circled the rim of the Salmon filet. Can't comment on the fish as I didn't try it but looked neither elegant nor appetizing. The dessert was a large slice of  too sweet Baily's cake with a dollop of shop-bought flavor ice cream decorated by heart shape coco-powder pattern that belongs on top of a cappuccino but by then I cared little for the kid's craft because the Limoncello kicked in. Pic: my Bangkok kindergarten student Jerry expressing himself through colored rice.



No comments: